Best Nude Lip Products for Dark Skin
Nude lip products on dark skin have come quite a long way since the beginning of my makeup life. They’re also quite subjective – some people hate cool beige or light peach lipsticks on darker skin tones, while I don’t mind them (with the proper steps taken to make them “wearable”). With that in mind, I curated my favorite “nude” lip products for my skin tone; I included glosses as well because I’ve transitioned back to being more of a lip gloss gal. Lip gloss lovers, unite!
1. Ulta Beauty Color Rush Lip Gloss in “Audrey”: The name has changed on this product, but I’m hoping the formula hasn’t. This shade is described as a “medium nude” on the Ulta website, but I believe it’s more of a peachy nude lip gloss with coral undertones. It’s not super pigmented, but it does give off a nice amount of color payoff that isn’t a streaky mess. The shimmer particles give the lips a nice, juicy shine, and you cannot feel any grittiness with these. I’m in love with this formula so much that I have other shades of this product, but they’re not exactly nudes. These wear beautifully on their own and over other lip products, making them a versatile product everyone should consider adding to their collection.
2. Fenty Beauty Gloss Bomb in “Fenty Glow”: If you haven’t purchased this product yet, what are you doing? Yes, $18 is a little hefty of a price to pay for a lip gloss, but it’ well worth the money. In the amount of time I’ve owned this gloss, it’s become my holy grail. That should mean something, because it usually takes me a while to declare something to be “be-all-end-all” status. The color is gorgeous on any skin tone; it looks rosier on lighter complexions, while it pulls just slightly warmer on me. Again, the shimmer juices up the lips, but doesn’t feel gritty. There’s not much tackiness to this lip gloss, but it also doesn’t smear all over the face. This is another gloss that wears just fine on its own, but fares well over other products as well.
3. Milani Cosmetics Color Statement Lipstick in “Teddy Bare”: This is my holy-grail nude lipstick. It’s the perfect “my lips but better” shade with the perfect mix of mauvy-pink and brown, and it’s one of the few lipsticks I’ve almost completely finished up. It’s a cream finish, so it doesn’t dry out the lips or make the lips look shriveled up, but it’s also not a super glossy finish. Whenever I’m feeling neither matte nor glossy, this lipstick is the perfect in-between. All of the Milani Cosmetics lipsticks are amazing, last decently throughout the day (four or five hours with no eating or drinking) and is just the perfect lipstick to throw on and be about the day.
4. NYX Cosmetics Liquid Suede Cream Lipstick in “Sandstorm”: This one definitely isn’t in every dark-skinned gal’s wheelhouse, but it’s my go-to if I’m seeking a very pale, cool-toned beige lip. This formula isn’t always my favorite; it dries down to look matte on the lips but is still flexible and comfortable, but it does tend to gunk up throughout the day and flake off a little. Still, the color is amazing if I want a cooler toned nude lip, but to ensure my lips don’t appear to be powdered donuts, I do feather a brown lip liner around the borders of my lips. (Excuse how messy these swatches are - I took these pictures at eight in the morning...)
5. Stila Stay All Day Liquid Lipstic in the shade “Biscotti”: This is like the darker, edgier big sister to the Nyx Cosmetics lipstick above. It still has a cool, almost greyish tone to it, but looks less ashy without a lip liner since it is a little deeper of a brown. I wear the heck out of this one during the fall and winter months, and it goes with any neutral to cool-toned look, regardless of the drama level. I do quite enjoy Stila’s liquid lipstick formula; it’s one of the most transfer proof formulas I’ve tried while still being comfortable. It’s also the easiest formula to build up on the lips; I can apply layers throughout the day and it never gets yucky.
Would you all be up for a part two to this list? There’s a few more borderline nude lipsticks that I’d like to mention, but I really wanted to limit this list to my top favorite picks. I hope everyone is having a blessed day whenever they’re reading this post, and I hope everyone is enjoying the steadier stream of content I’ve been putting out.
Write you little lovelies later,
XO Ky M.